Alternative ways of financing your LAICS Master

Tax Relief for companies

If your company is willing to pay for your continuing education then these costs might be tax-deductible for your company.  Read more at  or search on the SKAT pages  (Danish only)




Gross salary agreement

If you are of Danish nationality (or employed in Denmark), you can explore the option of financing your LAICS Master via the gross salary agreement (“bruttolønsordning”, ”lønomlægning” or “fleksibel lønpakke”).

With this scheme, the cost of tuition will come out of your gross salary – before taxes. It is, however, worth noting that the Danish Tax Authorities need to approve the agreement, which could take up to three months.

More information on the gross salary agreement can be found on the Danish Tax Authorities’ homepage (in Danish only): Click to read information about the gross salary agreement and the juristictional guidelines.

Competence Development Funds

Companies and organisations and their employees can apply for support for continuing education - if competence development funds are comprised within the collective agreement. 

There are central funds which cover a wide spectrum of sectors and areas and other funds which are more specific to a particular sector. 

KONVENTUMS website gives a good overview of the varioius funds. Read more here. (Danish only)


If you are employed within the central government you may be eligible for financial aid provided by the State’s Competence Fund (“Statens Kompetencefond”).

Every year competence funds are allocated to the individual ministries by the Agency for Competence Development in the State Sector (“Kompetencesekretariatet", the joint secretariat for competence developmet for the Danish-government partners to collective agreements). The departments distribute the funds to the institutions that fall under the ministry.

The funds are allocated internally in the organisation in accordance with the collective agreement. Therefore it is recommended that you appeal to your employee representative and/or HR-department, who will be able to advise you of this matter. You can also inquire the administrator of the funds at the work place.

Read more about this option at the homepage of the Agency for Competence Development in the State Sector.

You will find the complete rules and guidelines at the homepage of the Agency for Modernisation Ministry of Finance (“Moderniseringsstyrelsen”) (in Danish).

If you are employed withing the local government in Denmark, the Local Government Competence Fund(Den Kommunale Kompetencefond”) can aid with up to 25.000 DKR, if you comply with the requirements of being subject to collective agreements between the fond and specific organisations.

Learn more here (in Danish).

Job rotation scheme

Another option is the job rotation scheme (“Jobrotationsordningen”), which enables public and private sector organisations to seek support from the local job centre to hire an unemployed person as substitute for an employee during a short or long period of upskilling or competence development. Read more here.  

Find further information at the Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment here (in Danish).

Contact your local job centre for further information.


LAICS modules as part of a Flexible Master

If securing finance for your LAICS Master is a challenge then a more economical alternative could be to apply for the Flexible Master offered by the Danish School of Education, DPU, at Aarhus University.

With a Flexible Master you have the possibility to tailor your education specifically to your needs and enroll on modules of your choice at DPU or at any other university -  where maximum 2 out of your 4 modules could be LAICS modules.

Learn more about flexible master at DPU here (in Danish).